NEW LEXINGTON — Most members of the community realized on March 20th, Perry County Waste Reduction and Recycling had to postpone all recycling services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This was done to protect the Recycling Center workers until this virus was better understood. The local recycling sort system is currently set up where workers must touch each material by hand as they separate them at the Recycling Center. Recent studies show, if the virus is present, it remains active on different surfaces from a few hours to 4 days, depending on the material (plastic, metal, glass, paper).

As health and science officials help residents understand how to operate with the presence of the COVID-19 virus, Perry County Waste Reduction and Recycling was pleased to be able to start accepting materials again, cautiously, one location at a time — since Earth Day.

Current locations as of May 18, 2020: PerCo at North Entrance; Thornport by TC Market; Shawnee Main Street; Crooksville behind Shrivers Pharmacy/Hardware; Junction City behind King’s; Somerset by Family Dollar.

Materials must be deposited in the containers and no materials will be accepted or handled by any recycling workers at this time.

Recycle drop off sites are under video surveillance; anyone leaving materials on the ground or depositing garbage into the bins will be cited for littering.

If the bins are full, call 740-342-7881 and they will be changed out.

Do not leave materials on the ground or at the recycling center.

If all goes well, Perry County Recycling Center plans to have all drop off locations open and running the week of June 1st.

Thank you to all our community members for understanding.

A special KUDOS to all who were able to keep up the recycling habit and “stockpile” your recycling during this unusual time! Hopefully, these challenging times have helped each of us realize how our garbage truly can pile up.

Remember, 75 percent of our trash can either be recycled or composted. The remaining 25 percent is essentially what is considered true trash and should be put out in our garbage cans, to be hauled to landfill... and not dumped along our back roads.

May we all continue to have pride in our communities; improve on our litter, waste reduction and recycling habits, now and for all time.

Submitted by Perry County Waste Reduction and Recycling, www.perryrecycling.com 740-342-7881.

Load comments